Rural Affairs Minister Edwin Poots MLA attended an event at Killeavy Castle in Newry to celebrate the success of the Morne, Gullion and Lecale Rural Development Partnership in delivering his country’s rural development ‘LEADER’ program ministry.
Minister Poots is pictured with (left to right) Councilor Cathy Mason, Chair of Newry, Morne and Down District Council and Councilor Roisin Mulgrew, Chair of the Morne, Gullion and Lecale Rural Development Partnership.
A total of 76 projects in the Newry, Morne and Down District Council area have received funding, with 14 community facilities developed or upgraded and over 33,000 people benefiting from support under the renovation of facilities measure. towns.
Welcoming the success of the program during a speech at the event, Minister Poots said: “I would like to commend Rural Development Partnership members Morne, Gullion, and Lecale for their work in achieving Priority 6 of NI’s Rural Development ‘LEADER’ program. This program has provided investments worth £15 million in local rural areas, improving people’s lives by creating over 160 new jobs, supporting village renewal and improving infrastructure.
The Minister also referred to his recent statement to the NI Assembly regarding Northern Ireland’s first-ever rural policy framework, saying: “I want to create a new scheme in the future which will be entirely tailored to our own unique circumstances in Northern Ireland. The framework will see a new rural business and community investment program that will span the next 7 years and support my department’s vision of placing sustainability at the heart of a living, active and active landscape enjoyed by all. It will also demonstrate our continued commitment to ensuring that rural communities thrive and prosper through our continued support and investment in initiatives that will make a tangible difference for those who live and work in rural areas.
MGL Chairman Roisin Mulgrew said: “The implementation of this scheme has brought significant benefits to the rural residents of Newry, Morne and Down and is a testament to the dedication of the local action group. Members’ knowledge has supported high-quality projects, which have had a positive impact on the lives of people in rural areas. »
Councilor Cathy Mason, Chairperson of Newry, Morne and Down District Council, said: “Newry, Morne and Down District Council’s partnership with the Local Action Group and DAERA has been extremely successful in bringing implementation of this program. The positive impacts have ensured a strong rural economy, providing residents with access to high quality community facilities, towns and villages they can be proud to call home.
Notes to editors:
- The Morne, Gullion and Lecale (MGL) Rural Development Partnership has successfully implemented Priority 6 of the NI Rural Development Program 2014-2020 in the Newry, Morne and Down District Council area.
- Support was provided through four funding streams, namely investment in rural enterprises; Basic rural services; Village Renewal and Co-Operation, and the support has resulted in over £15m of investment in the council area.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter on and Facebook.
- All media inquiries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: [email protected]
- The Executive Information Service offers an after-hours service for media inquiries only between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. Monday through Friday and on weekends and public holidays. The permanent press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
Share this page